Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Middle Ground

Food is central to human existence. It sustains us. We gather around it. Our economy is ran by it. However, research suggests that the Western diet is killing us all--cancer, obesity, heart disease, even mental illnesses can all be linked to the high-in-saturated-fat, low-in-vital-nutrients lifestyle most Americans live.

As a dietetics major, I find myself immersed in study after study about what this nutrient does to your brain or how this food increases your risk of cancer. To be honest, I've found myself becoming slightly paranoid. Does that chocolate shake I had last night really increase my risk of developing Alzheimer's disease? Will the grilled cheese sandwich I had for lunch make artherosclerosis imminent?

I'll remind myself by telling you: there is a middle ground! It's called moderation.

mod·er·a·tion
ˌmädəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.
    the avoidance of excess or extremes, especially in one's behavior or political opinions.
    "he urged the police to show moderation"

Maybe it elicits an eye roll or a multitude of negative opinions, but what are of our lives couldn't do with a little moderation? With a synonym like "self-discipline," it can't be that bad of a thing. Merely a difficult one. 

Eating the very best we can about 70% of the time is going to be the most healthy, realistic, and rewarding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment