Sunday, February 2, 2014

Time

I realized the other day that I have an obsession. No, it's not One Direction or that Flappy Birds game or slacklining or chocolate.....

As odd as it may sound, I am obsessed with
     Time. 

Calendars and countdowns are my thing. As the month draws to a close, I always find myself excited to erase and start a new month on my whiteboard. I find satisfaction in turning to a new day on my "1,000 Places to See Before You Die" calendar, and one of my favorite things is making a paper chain or setting a countdown on my phone to a special day or an event. My friends probably get annoyed because I'm constantly announcing, "43 days to this!" or "102 days to that!"

Currently I have three countdowns going...


If you can't read it, there's:
 117 days to the last day of school 
46 days to Spring
26 days to my school's production of Fiddler on the Roof
Pretty exciting, huh?


Now some may think that I might be wanting to rush through life or must not be enjoying present circumstances to be constantly looking ahead; however, let me tell you of a paradox I've recently discovered.

My time keeping helps me realize how truly precious each moment is while reminding me that the best is yet to come. 

Life is to be lived to the fullest because even in those moments you're watching the clock, desperately wanting the seconds to pass, you can still find beauty. If we believe that good things are in store, it allows us to have a positive outlook on the present and the future, and we become happier people. Gordon B. Hinckley said it best when he stated, "Life is to be enjoyed, not endured."

Life is grand. Life is hard. Life is SO worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment